Subscribe to the WINforum Blog via Email
FUEL YOUR GAME…Thanksgiving style!
Gobble, gobble…this year’s eating extravaganza is about to begin. Here at WINforum we asked our amazing panel of sport nutrition experts for their top tips for creating a sports-nutrition-based Thanksgiving holiday. Here is what Board Certified Sports Dietitians Kelly Pritchett and Laura Hunter had to say…
1. Don’t forget to eat breakfast. This will help keep your hunger in check and help prevent you from overdoing it at dinner.
2. During the holidays, use the balanced plate approach. Your plate should look similar to your regular training plate with the right balance of protein, veggies and carbohydrates.
3. Eat what you REALLY want. Survey all the available foods then select only the ones you LOVE. Example: If pumpkin, apple and pecan pies are available, and you LOVE pumpkin, eat the pumpkin pie and skip the rest.
4. Think outside of the box with NEW recipes. Try some new high performance Thanksgiving recipes from our WINforum Pinterest page.
5. Drink milk or water in place of other beverages.
6. Plan ahead by eating a healthy snack prior to parties and family gatherings. Or bring a healthy snack to the party to share.
7. Don’t overtrain and risk injury to compensate for intake. If you listen to your body, it will make up for any mistakes you might make in eating.
The WINforum panel of sports nutrition experts reminds you to enjoy your food, fuel up for your next training session and most of all be THANKFUL you can get out there and GET AFTER IT!
WINFORUM IS A SCIENCE-BASED SPORTS NUTRITION RESOURCE FOR STUDENT-ATHLETES, PARENTS, COACHES AND PROFESSIONALS IN THE FIELD OF ATHLETICS. FEED YOUR GAME!