Nutrition for Team Sport Tournaments
BEFORE EACH GAME
Before games, optimize hydration status and top off energy stores. Prepare for each game by fueling up 1-4 hours in advance..
- 2 hours before the game, drink 2 cups of fluid.
- 1 hour before the game take a few gulps every 10-15 minutes.
- Eat a carbohydrate-rich meal 2-4 hours before the game.
- The closer it is until game-time, the smaller this meal should be.
- Minimize fat and fiber to help it digest quickly and easily.
- Choose foods you know you tolerate well.
- Peanut butter banana toast and yogurt
- Pasta with marinara sauce, veggies, milk
- Soup, bread and a piece of fruit (light on the mayo)
- Pita wrap with humus, chicken, fruit, milk
DURING A GAME
During games, focus on your hydration status. Continue to drink 1 cup of fluid every 30 minutes.
- Continue to drink 1 cup of fluid every 30 minutes during the game.
- Water is the best choice unless the game lasts longer than an hour.
- Or choose a sports drink that contains 14-18g carboydrae per 8 oz.
- Eating during games is not necessary.
- Golazo All Natural Sports Hydration
POST GAME REFUEL
Post game restore hydration status, replenish energy stores, and repair muscle breakdown. This is the time muscles are most receptive to fuel, so eat a snack within 30 minutes of your game.
- Drink 4-5 cups fluid over a 2 hour period after the game.
- Choose a drink with carbohydrates in it to sip on immediately following the game (sport drink, diluted juice)
- Eat a snack within 30 minutes of finishing a game (the sooner the better).
- The snack should contain mostly carbohydrates (50-70g) and some protein (10-20g).
- Minimize fat and fiber to speed digestion.
- Chocolate milk and granola bar
- Yogurt and an oatmeal cookie
- Bagel sandwich with turkey and cream cheese
- Baked potato with sour cream and salsa
- Hard boiled egg and a piece of toast with jam
- 8-oz. fruit juice and crackers stacked with cheese and apple slices
The goal between games is to replenish hydration status and energy stores and keep stores full until the next game. Follow the post-game strategies outlined above and then continually sip on fluid and eat small snacks to keep stores full.
- Sip on 2-4 ounces of fluid every 10-15 minutes between games
- Eat carbohydrate rich snacks between games.
- Choose easy to digest foods you are used to.
- Granola bar
- dried fruit
- humus and crackers
- trail mix