Performance Nutrition While Traveling
Travel can be tough on athletes. With some planning and dedication you can make your travel as healthy as when you are home.
TIPS for EATING ON THE ROAD:
- Keep WATER with you at all times. Plane and bus travel leads to dehydration. Dehydration = poor performance. Carry your water bottle and fill it up.
- Eat your NORMAL food. For most sports, carbo-loading is not necessary. Simply eating your normal high carbohydrate diet (plenty of grains, fruits and veggies), will fuel you up to WIN! Big pasta/pizza meals can be high in fat and calories leaving you feeling sluggish.
- Make HEALTHY choices. Choose baked or grilled foods not fried, limit sweets (notice limit not eliminate), and avoid heavy cream sauces.
- EAT FREQUENTLY throughout the day. Eating every 2-3 hours will keep you fueled.
- Stay on SCHEDULE. Following your normal routine will help you perform at your peak. Eat, drink and sleep according to your normal routine.
- EAT a high carb, low fat BREAKFAST. Remember to fuel your body in the morning with plenty of familiar that will digest easy and help you feel mentally and physically ready.
Download WINforum’s Hit the Road Game Plan